January 4, 2009

Hi, I'm Deb and I'm a Cookbook Addict. (Hi, Deb!!)

I collect cookbooks.  And I use every single one of them. Some more than others, true, but I DO use ALL of them (shut. up. I do.).

And, get this, I also keep my laptop on my kitchen counter so that I can look up a recipe whenever I want. I also read news and food blogs incessantly. So, one would ask - why do you keep buying books if nearly every recipe known to man can be found on the great world wide internet????

I don't know. I love to actually READ cookbooks. The descriptions of the whys and whatfors behind a recipe. The authors love of one thing or another. As I wrote in my earlier post, Nigella Lawson has a way of writing her cookbooks that makes them seem like novels. A food writer, Nigella can make the process of opening a can of soup seem sumptuous and sexy and something you-have-to-do-right-this-very-minute!! It's one of the things I love about her.

My favorite section of the bookstore: the cookbook section. I will go through the section and pick up a stack of books and sit down and read through them. Sigh. I don't know why it is. And to people who don't share my love of food or the cooking process, I'm CERTAIN it seems strange that I go and buy a book on the day it's released (hello, Barefoot Contessa - Back to Basics. I'm looking at you). I simply cannot wait.

So - what IS it that has me doing this?

No comments: